I encountered this outburst of testosterone fuelled experimentation a couple of weeks ago, and mentioned it to Karen -- who immediately said that this was something that had to be done. So, yesterday I actually made some of the
Manliest Bread EVARR!!!!!111elebenty!!!!!!1 *
Bacon. Jalapeno. Cheesy. Beer. Bread. The sheer awesomeness of the concept forced that punctuation, I swear.
And it was a great success.
The recipe (for a bread making machine)
- 1 tsp yeast
- 1.25 tsp salt
- 1.5 tsp sugar
- 350g strong white flour
- 150g strong wholemeal flour
And in the main mix
- 85g of the strongest cheddar I had in the house, grated
- 320ml ale -- I used Greene King IPA
In the candied fruit hopper:
- 4 rashers of thick-cut bacon, dry-fried (pouring off any oozing water as required) until stiff, rinds removed and chopped into ~1cm bits
- As many jalapeno pepper slices as will fit.
Cook on standard raisin bread program. Cool for an hour, then enjoy!
It was wonderfully savoury warm with butter, and made a fine accompaniment to a chilli powered by the fruits of our greenhouse (to the extent of 2/3 of the loaf). Though I couldn't help feeling that there had to be some way to work some garlic into the mix without spoiling the awesome.
* OK, some pedants will point out that this recipe is just loaded with phytoestrogens. But it's the concept that counts.